Are You Putting Your Pet’s Health at Risk?

June 6, 2017

in Cat Health

Store bought cleaning products and air-fresheners are made with chemicals, or combinations of chemicals. Most of the labels tell us they are harmful if swallowed, or if they get in your eye, open cuts Granted that is not likely to happen, but what about constant exposure? Things like frequent headaches, loss of energy, dizziness can all be attributed to over-exposure to chemicals. The issue is How much exposure is too much? Heres a common complaint: Your pet is sick and the vet can’t figure out why! Vets are trained to treat the symptoms from something that is likely to be transient; They are ill-equipped to treat a constant health threat, like cleaning and air freshening products.

Chemical cleaners can be very toxic, even when properly diluted, but the tendency is to use a more concentrated cleaner for the areas your pet frequents to protect your pet and your family. People who are unable to clean and disinfect regularly, often place air-fresheners near the bedding and resting places. And when they do get to clean, they are likely to use more concentrated products. Although you may not have experienced any of the afore mentioned symptoms, but what about your pets? Remember one of our years is the equivalent of 5-7 of theirs! Consequently, their exposure is five to seven times greater than your own, only they can’t say “Hey, my nose, my mouth, my eyes, my pads are burning!” While it is very important that the areas your pets roam are clean and disinfected, it is also important that you know what you are using to do so. I hope that you have never experienced any of the afore mentioned symptoms, but what about your pets?

Immediately after cleaning, get down on your hands and knees like your pet. Do you snese any burning? No? Keep in mind your pet’s nose is thousands of times more sensitive. The chemicals used in cleaners, disinfectants, and air-fresheners are often an unknown cause of diarrhea, vomiting, and numerous misdiagnoses. They can burn your pet’s lungs, and eyes, as well as cause the pads of your pet’s feet to burn. In response, your pet licks their pads (often incessantly), and ingests the chemicals. This is often an unknown cause of diarrhea, vomiting, and numerous misdiagnoses.

The good news is that you can make your pet areas clean and germ-free without exposing your family or your pet to toxic chemicals. I personally use colloidal silver mixed with 3% hydrogen peroxide to disinfectant everything in that comes into my house, as well as the floors, bathroom walls, toilets… Susan Sumner, a food scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, developed a cleaning and sanitizing combination consisting of 3% hydrogen peroxide (available at the drug store), and vinegar. Fill one spray bottle with plain white vinegar to use as a cleaner ad the other with hydrogen peroxide. You can save money buying them in bulk. Gallon jugs of concentrated hydrogen peroxide are available from beauty supply stores, but must be handled with gloves, and carefully diluted with distilled water. Exact measurements are very important to achieve the proper 3% dilution. If you make a gallon at a time, you can use some to mop floors, clean food and water bowls, sponges, spray litter boxes, disinfect the air, bedding, walls, door handles, countertops, fruits and vegetables, cutting boards, remote controls, cell phones…

In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion, making this spray combination more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner. The best results came from using one mist right after the other- it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer! When cleaning fruit; spray well with both the vinegar and the hydrogen peroxide, leave on for 1-2 minutes, and then rinse under running water, preferably filtered. You can spray either the vinegar or the hydrogen peroxide first. There is no after taste, or toxic residue.

Somehow, we have gotten away from basic, safe, yet effective cleaners and replaced them with potentially harmful off-the-shelf chemical cleaners and air-fresheners. The burning question (no pun intended) is “Why?” Clearly, Madison Avenue is very good at what they do, but at whose expense?

About the Author:

Similar Posts Other People Have Read:

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Kate February 2, 2010 at 12:11 am

Thank you so much for this post. I think my use of air fresheners IS the cause of my cat’s constant diarrhea. Do you have any tips on how to clean the carpets to get any excess cleaning product out of it? I just want my kitty on the road to recovery. It horrifies me that my use of these things could have hurt my cat. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: